Elevators are a part of visiting many public and private buildings. They are designed to be safe and receive regular elevator maintenance and repairs. You can play a part in using the elevator safely but following these elevator safety tips. We’ve also included information for what to do if you’re in a stalled elevator.
- Elevator Safety Tips
- Why Elevators Get Stuck
- What To Do If An Elevator Gets Stuck
- Elevator Repair Services
Elevator Safety Tips
There’s things you can do to be more safe while using elevators. We have tips for before, entering, riding, getting off, and what to do if the elevator gets stuck.
Calling & Waiting For Elevators
- Read the board to find out what floor you’ll need to get to your destination.
- Select the direction, up or down, you need to go to get there.
- Watch for the car to arrive and an auditory signal that the doors have opened.
- Keep in mind any disorders that cause dizziness or otherwise make elevators uncomfortable.
- Allow passengers to exit the elevator before trying to get on.
- If the elevator is already full wait for the next car instead of cramming in.
- Avoid trying to rush between closing doors or prevent them from closing.
- If there’s been a power outage or fire use the stairs and avoid elevators.
Boarding The Elevator
- Before getting on the elevator allow people to exit.
- Mind your footing as you step into the elevator.
- Make sure you and your cargo is clear of the elevator doors.
- Hold hands with your kids and if you have pets make sure to hold them.
- Whoever is closet to the elevator door should stand to the side if staying on.
- Passengers exiting on the next stop should move near the doors to exit.
- If someone needs extra time to get on or off hold the “Door Open” button.
- As you enter make sure you push the button for your floor and then find room to stand.
Riding The Elevator
- Brace yourself against a wall or hold onto railings.
- Watch for what floor the elevator is on so you know when to be ready to exit.
- If the elevator stops on your floor but the doors don’t open push the “Door Open” button.
- Stay calm and be considerate of other people on the elevator.
Disembarking The Elevator
- As soon as the doors open at your floor make your way out of the elevator.
- Avoid pushing anyone else in the elevator to exit, ask them to please move if needed.
- Mind your step if there’s a difference between the floor and elevator car height.
- Be aware of people trying to get on the elevator and be considerate to exit quickly.
Why Do Elevators Get Stuck
The odds of getting stuck in an elevator are extremely low as there are laws governing the maintenance and repair of elevators in buildings. In fact for someone who rides an elevator 8 times a day the chances of that individual getting stuck is about 1 in 5,000 (according to KJA Elevator Design)
- Electricity Failure In Building – Elevators run on the building’s power. If it goes out the elevators can not move.
- Software Malfunction – Most modern elevators have some level or automation controlled by computer software.
- Mechanical Breakdowns – Wear and tear is a fact in every mechanical system including elevators.
- Fail Safe Mode – If something is wrong in the system the software is designed to stop the elevator for safety.
What To Do If The Elevator Is Stuck
If you’re unlucky one day and you’re stuck in an elevator here’s what you should do.
- Breathe slow and deep to maintain your calm.
- Never try to climb out of the elevator.
- Contact The elevator operated using the call button or phone.
- Contact the office, co-workers, friends, or family to let them know.
- Talk to other passengers and help them stay calm if you’re not alone.
- Sit down, relax, and take a nap if you feel inclined.
- If you’ve got your laptop or tablet you can study or continue to work.
Absolutely never climb out of the elevator as it can power back up and move when you’re on top of it. People have been injured and some have died when this happens. Stay safe, stay calm, and stay in the elevator.
Elevator Maintenance & Repair Services
If you own a building and need elevator maintenance or elevator repair services, Arizona Elevator Solutions is here to help! We offer on going maintenance, repairs, and ensure that you’re building is up to code. This helps you avoid unnecessary liability and ensure your occupants are happy, healthy, and safe as they visit your building.
Call 480-557-7600 or Contact Us